Close this search box.

Community Service Block Grant


The goal of the Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) is to combat poverty; the revitalization of low-income communities and the empowerment of low-income families and individuals to become fully self-sufficient. The Community Services Block Grant is designed to help low-income individuals and families: secure and retain meaningful employment; attain an adequate education; improve the use of available income; obtain adequate housing; obtain emergency assistance; including health and nutrition services; remove obstacles which block the achievement of self-sufficiency; and achieve greater participation in the affairs of the community.

Participants in this project receive activities and services that will lead them to self sufficiency through increased income as a result of obtaining training and employment.
Program components include but are not limited to:
Comprehensive Case Management
Work Readiness Training
Support Services or Emergency Services
School Age Tutorial

To be eligible for the assistance, a family must meet the income requirements per the Federal Poverty Guidelines.

To apply please click link below or send information to the information provided and a member of our team will contact you.

(Please print and mail to PO Box 2346 Rocky Mount or drop off the Intake, Self-Declaration and Privacy Rights Waiver Forms to 200 N. Church Street, Rocky Mount, NC 27804.

​ Please allow Case Managers up to 48 hours for application review and allow up to two weeks to process payments due to high volume of applications.)

CSBG/Family Development
Tina Garrett

Click Here: Basic Intake Application

Click Here: Self-Declaration Statement & Privacy Rights Waiver


Can I collect a Security Deposit?

Yes, however Section 8 Housing prohibits security deposits in excess of private practice, or in excess of amounts charged by the owner to unassisted tenants.

What is the term of the lease and contract?

After one year, the lease is renewed for a specified time period (such as month-to-month, six months, etc.). The tenant may vacate with a notice after the term of the lease expires. If the tenant remains in the unit, the tenant is recertified for eligibility and the unit is inspected for Housing Quality Standards annually, at which time the landlord may request an annual adjustment rent increase which must be approved by Section 8 Housing. This request must be submitted in writing to the Housing Authority and tenant sixty days prior to renewal. ​

What are my rights and responsibilities as a landlord?

Maintain your property in good condition. Complete repairs within a reasonable amount of time upon request by the housing authority or tenant, 24 hours for emergencies. The amount of time that is considered reasonable depends on the nature of the problem. Set reasonable rules about use of unit and common areas. Do not enter a unit without tenant’s permission and proper notice except for emergencies or tenant requested repairs. Collect appropriate security deposit as directed under the program and use it only a directed by state law. Comply with equal opportunity requirements. Enforce tenant obligations under the lease.Expect your tenant to:

Pay rent on time

Keep unit clean

Avoid illegal activity

Permit access for repairs

Avoid damage to property

Refrain from disturbing others

Allow only those occupants on the lease to reside in the unit

Not enter into a side contract or side payment with the tenant.

Comply with terms and conditions of lease and HAP contract.

Take action through Magistrate’s Court to evict when tenant violates the lease
HUD/Section 8 Director
Renaye Pittman