Close this search box.

Section 8 Housing

There are several types of housing rental assistance available from the federal government for low-income families.

One type, called Section 8, is administered locally by the NEW CA office and helps families living in Nash and Edgecombe counties. It is designed to create affordable housing choices for low-income families and permits them to choose from privately owned rental housing, including single-family homes, townhouses and apartments. Housing must meet the requirements of this program and can not be a part of government subsidized housing.

You (and your family) may qualify as a Section 8 tenant for this assistance for a number of different reasons. There is no criteria – racial or ethical – that determines who qualifies. Eligibility for the program is determined by annual gross income and family size and is limited to US citizens and some categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status.

Information for Landlords Interested in Participation in Section 8 Rentals

What is Section 8?

The Section 8 program provides assistance for low income families in the private rental market through the Housing Assistance Payments Program administered by NEW CA, Inc. Rental voucher holders select a unit from the private rental market. Rental assistance makes market rate housing affordable. Program participants normally pay no more than 30% of monthly adjusted income towards rent and utilities. The Housing Assistance Payment subsidizes the balance of the rent to the property owner.

What are the requirements for my unit to be rented to an assisted family?

The unit must meet HUD Housing Quality Standards and the rent must be approved within HUD Fair Market Rents and market rate comparable (copy of HQS available).

How do I make a unit available to voucher holders?

You may call the Leased Housing office to have the unit listed on our list of available units. You may also advertise in the newspaper with the phrase “will accept Section 8.” Our families look for those listings.

What do I do when a voucher holder is interested in my unit?

Landlord screens Tenants You must screen the prospective tenant carefully to insure you are making a good selection. When one of our families contacts you, we can only certify to you their income eligibility for the program. We cannot provide a reference as to their expected behavior as tenants. You may use any or all of the following screening procedures.
Credit Check
Criminal Check
Landlord References

Home Visits

We encourage all of the above screening methods as long as you do not discriminate. Discrimination includes any tenant selection based on race, color, religion, ancestry, sex, country of birth, handicap or familial status. The prohibition against discrimination based on familial status makes it illegal, in most circumstances, to refuse to allow children to live in a residential unit.

Request for Tenancy Approval

When you have selected a tenant, s/he will have a “Request for Tenancy Approval” form for you to complete. When the tenant submits the form to our office, a housing representative will contact you to schedule an inspection.

Inspection and Rent

The unit will be inspected to insure that it meets HUD Housing Quality Standards. You will also be mailed a copy of the inspection repair list, if applicable.

Lease and Contract

After the unit passes inspection and the rent has been approved, the landlord and tenant enter into a lease for an initial term of one year. Section 8 Housing and the landlord sign a Housing Assistance Payments Contract through which the rent is assisted on behalf of the tenant.

All appointments Not previously scheduled will take place on
“Walk-In Wednesday.”
Walk-In Wednesday will take place from 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. weekly.
If you are dropping off information please submit all paperwork at any time via our secure dropbox.
For information on Section 8 please go to our agency’s website at
We are currently not accepting applications at this time.

Visit to see when the application process will be re-opened. In the meantime, please review our policies below.

​​If you qualify, you are responsible for selecting a home where the owner agrees to rent under the Section 8 program. You should ask the property owner or manager, “Do you accept Section 8?” Please note that this Section 8 assistance may even apply to a home in which you are already living.

​Rental units must meet established health and safety standards as set by NEW CA, Inc. If you are eligible, your name will go on our waiting list. In some cases, funds are immediately available, but if you must go on the waiting list, you will be notified as soon as funds are available for you.

This financial assistance, or subsidy, is paid directly to your landlord (owner of the property) by NEW CA, Inc. on your behalf and you are responsible for the difference between the actual rent amount charged and the amount paid by NEW CA, Inc.


Can I collect a Security Deposit?

Yes, however Section 8 Housing prohibits security deposits in excess of private practice, or in excess of amounts charged by the owner to unassisted tenants.

What is the term of the lease and contract?

After one year, the lease is renewed for a specified time period (such as month-to-month, six months, etc.). The tenant may vacate with a notice after the term of the lease expires. If the tenant remains in the unit, the tenant is recertified for eligibility and the unit is inspected for Housing Quality Standards annually, at which time the landlord may request an annual adjustment rent increase which must be approved by Section 8 Housing. This request must be submitted in writing to the Housing Authority and tenant sixty days prior to renewal.

What are my rights and responsibilities as a landlord?

Maintain your property in good condition. Complete repairs within a reasonable amount of time upon request by the housing authority or tenant, 24 hours for emergencies. The amount of time that is considered reasonable depends on the nature of the problem. Set reasonable rules about use of unit and common areas. Do not enter a unit without tenant’s permission and proper notice except for emergencies or tenant requested repairs. Collect appropriate security deposit as directed under the program and use it only a directed by state law. Comply with equal opportunity requirements. Enforce tenant obligations under the lease.Expect your tenant to:

Pay rent on time

Keep unit clean

Avoid illegal activity

Permit access for repairs

Avoid damage to property

Refrain from disturbing others

Allow only those occupants on the lease to reside in the unit

Not enter into a side contract or side payment with the tenant.

Comply with terms and conditions of lease and HAP contract.

Take action through Magistrate’s Court to evict when tenant violates the lease
HUD/Section 8 Director
Julius Moody